Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sweet Bliss

We just returned from visiting our dear friends in San Francisco & I still cannot find the words to fully describe our experience other than to say pure & utter bliss. The trip itself was phenomenal on so many levels, but the freedom to eat out for EVERY single meal is still blowing my mind!

I kept saying to my girlfriend, "Wow, so this is what it feels like to be "normal" and to eat anywhere your heart desires?"

My son ate at an Asian Fusion family style restaurant where we ordered several meals, passed them around and shared everything. I could not believe my eyes as I watched Hayden partake in this adventure. He was practically inhaling food without chewing and I often had to remind him to "sit down, breathe and chew." "But mom, I have waited 10 years for this." Yes my sweet boy, yes you have.

Then there was the seafood restaurant where he ordered fried shrimp and french fries with malt vinegar. When the cocktail sauce came he had no idea why his "ketchup" tasted so weird. Poor thing, he did not even realize it was cocktail sauce, how could he have known, he's never had it before. So many things that need to be explained, things most of us take for granted.

He ate at a French restaurant where he could barely pronounce his entree!!! The original sushi boathouse in Japan town was hands down his favorite experience. He tried octopus, tuna, salmon, ikura, but eel was his favorite.

A trip to Ghirardelli was a must as when we were there two years ago he was not able to have anything. He walked in looked at all the chocolate and decided to purchase a milk chocolate bar filled with yummy caramel. He was unable to speak after the first bite!!! Love, love, loved it! He takes after his mama I guess :)

One of the best moments was as we were walking to hail a cab, my husband saw a Ben & Jerry's and insisted that we go in. Hayden was beside himself with all the choices & finally decided on Phish Food, halfway through it he asked to trade with his dad who had caramel chunk.

There were breakfasts at diners, Beard Papa's pastries for the hotel room, lunch & peanuts on the airplane, Haagen Daz from the hotel for movie night, yogurt and a croissant from Starbucks in the airport. The list goes on & on & on!

Pleased, happy, free, not even ecstatic would touch on what I am feeling these days when I watch my sweet boy enjoy every new food or restaurant experience.

Who knew any of this was possible? Who knew with a little hard work our lives would turn on a dime? Who knew the freedom, the complete and total relief we would feel when we could walk into a restaurant and order anything? Who knew life could become so much easier, so much less stressful?

God knew & that is why he put an overwhelming, unexplainable fire in me to move across the country and do this work. God knew my little family could handle it and he blessed us with an outcome that has brought to me knees in thankfulness for His grace & healing. I am humbled.

Amanda

"Where there is FAITH, there is LOVE; Where there is LOVE, there is PEACE; Where there is PEACE , there is GOD; Where there is GOD, there is BLISS." ~ Sri Sathya Sai Baba




1 comment:

  1. Dear Amanda,

    I am so very happy for you, Hayden and your whole family. It's truly a blessing that things have fallen into place. That the freedom can be yours, his and all. It's wonderful to hear the excitement and the breath that you have for so long waited for. I applaud you and Bryan for being so brave and in the face of all obstacles you went with your hearts...How beautiful life is and can be!!! Congrats!! I can just picture that handsome boy delighting in all the new foods and tastes...Give him a Big hug from me!!

    With fondness and much love to you,

    Jen ;)

    Love is breathing into the vast unknown and feeling a sense of being,a sense of knowingness..

    ReplyDelete