Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Deer In Headlights

The past several days have been filled with afternoons poolside & evenings at the park riding bikes, climbing rock walls and eating popsicles, even the dogs have been in on the fun! Yesterday my son overheard a woman talking about her daughter's life-threatening food allergies & he asked me if he could tell her about our energy healer. Before I could answer he opened my bag, grabbed Amy's business card and off he went. I knew what was most likely going to happen, but he was passionate and I let him approach. After watching the mom's face I knew it was time for me to jump in and help make sense of what she was hearing.

Needless to say she laughed in my face and asked me if our allergy doctor had approved of this treatment. I laughed right back and told her I did not even consult with my allergy doctor because I could careless what she thought. She went on to say how this seemed risky and would most likely backfire (all in front of my son). For the sake of her daughter I made every effort to assure her of the safety and how that in 8 years of treating children, Amy had never had a child go into anaphylaxis. She handed the card back and told me she would never consider this because her doctor would never approve. Are you serious lady? When did dr.'s start trumping educated parental decision making? At that point I knew I was dealing with someone who was closed to what I had to say. As I wished her the best and walked away Hayden grabbed my hand, squeezed it really hard and said, "I am so happy you are my mom."

I realize that what I am doing may seem a bit "out there", but as sure as I am typing this, I saw with my own two eyes my son lick dairy off of a toothpick yesterday & today without any reaction. Tomorrow we up the daily dose & by his birthday in November he will have a scoop of ice cream in a bowl. Something he has NEVER experienced! I pray that more families will open their hearts and minds to the possibility of this treatment for their children. To learn more about Amy check out her website at www.allergyart.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I ... I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost


Amanda




2 comments:

  1. Your son is so lucky to have you as his mom, Amanda. You are a brave mother bear, and he knows you will go to the ends of the earth to help him. Can't wait to see more blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I am learning how strong I really am.

    ReplyDelete